Thursday, November 19, 2015

My feelings about Writing, by DeMario Thurmond



Writing is difficult for me. Knowing that my mother, uncle and cousin are writers is kind of embarrassing to me. You may think that because I grew up in a family of writers, I am well qualified at writing. Well, writing is one of my biggest challenges. I love to read, but writing is one of my weaknesses. Once I had to write a 10-page research essay, and it didn’t turn out right. I do not know how to write like most great writers, so my essay didn’t turn out how I expected it to be. I felt that my essay was horrible because I am not a great writer. Writing is difficult at times, but it is very helpful.

Procrastination hit me hard those last few days of my senior year. During those last days, I had to write a 10-page essay on, “Should parents be liable for their children’s actions?” In order for me to pass this class, the assignment had to be typed and finished two days before school let out. I really didn’t take writing seriously because I felt that writing wasn’t important. Knowing me, I waited until the last days to get started, and it didn’t turn out right. Those last few weeks I had left went by so fast, I couldn’t believe that the paper was due in three days. Rushing and staying up all night trying to finish that paper was hectic.

Waking up with a feeling of guilt every morning, knowing that I might have failed my paper, was not a great feeling. Two days before my essay was due, all I had written was seven pages. The feeling that I had was kind of disturbing because everything that I wrote on the paper didn’t make sense because everything was disorganized and out of order. Walking to class, feeling like I failed was a horrible feeling. Walking around and asking classmates to proof read my paper so that I could get a decent grade was difficult because no one could understand what I was talking about because I was never on topic. Giving the teacher my paper was a horrible feeling because I knew I didn’t do a great job on my essay. Few hours went by and it got towards the end of the day and everyone had to pick up their papers. Walking to class with my head down, knowing I received a bad grade, was not a great feeling. Walking up to my teacher’s desk, grabbing my paper, and seeing that I received a C was disturbing because I knew I could have done better, but I kept procrastinating.

Hearing about writing gives me chills because I dislike writing. Sometimes when I start off on a topic I feel great about it but, when I write for too long, I get bored and I don’t feel like writing anymore. My mother always proofreads my writing and, when I get my paper back from my mother, it’s marked up with red marks and bad errors. Organizing and finding errors on my own paper is kind of boring to me. I need someone who can peer edit my paper for me because, I feel like if you judge yourself , you’re not going to point out the negatives, just the positives. My biggest skill in writing is coming up with a topic and my skill that I need to improve is staying on topic and adding more details about my topic.

It’s kind of funny because my mother is a poet and an awesome journalist. I think learning how to write like my mother is challenging. Sometimes I think that learning how to write is overrated because writing doesn’t determine your personality or the person you are. My mother always told me that an awesome writer is an awesome speaker. Well, I guess learning how to write is an accomplishment. Since the day my mother told me that, I feel as if writing is the key to everything. Improving my writing skills is a great accomplishment. I feel that everyone should practice writing more often. My mother taught me lots of things and writing is one of them. My mother is a great writer and she knows many things about writing. She encouraged me to take writing more seriously.

Writing is a great skill to have. Everyone may feel that writing is boring or may not be a great skill to have, but it is. I learned numerous things from writing. Even though writing can be challenging, it can make you a successful person. Many of you may think that none of this is true, but everything that is being presented in this essay can be very helpful. I hope you learn from what I am saying and take advantage of this and take writing more seriously. I believe that everyone should practice writing more often.
             

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful essay I love the way you expressed your feelings about writing because writing can be difficult but you have to overcome it. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeMario: I think you speak for many of our students. Writing is difficult, but it's also a powerful tool for learning and sharing. -- I'm proud of you for sticking with it. And I've enjoyed seeing your writing get better and better through the semester.

    ReplyDelete